presets empty

N
ned posted Mar 12 '18, 11:14:

I've created a samplerbox SDcard, and am running it on an RPi B (original v1). I loaded a bunch of presets in to a folder called /media/samples/, including the 0 Saw and 1 GrandPiano folders. it does nothing when I boot it.

When I log in using a keyboard and screen, I can run /root/Sampleerbox/samplerbox.sh, and it says:

Opened audio device #2
Preset empty: 0
Opened MIDI: USB Axiom 49 20:0
Opened MIDI: USB Axiom 49 20:1

And if I use program change on the keyboard, it says:

Program change 1
Preset empty: 1

So I guess it's all working, but I need another step to get it to correctly load the presets. I can see that the samples are all there in /media/samples. Anyone know what else I need to do to make it work?

H
HansEhv posted Mar 12 '18, 21:46:

This too much levels, "/media/0 Saw" should work.

N
ned posted Mar 13 '18, 07:35:

OK, that did something, it now looks like it's opening the first 3 sample packs, but not any after that. Maybe my upload broke.

But even with the 0 Saw patch, I get no sound. I've tried with audio device set to 2, 1, and 0. But I also get no sound when I aplay a waves file... so maybe my RPi is broken..

H
HansEhv posted Mar 13 '18, 14:18:

Hm, weird. Some things you might try:
Did you stop the samplerbox instance automatically started at boot ("systemctl stop samplerbox").
Does "python -m sounddevice" give sensible output: are your sounddevices in it; you can identify them at the (hw:x,y), where the x gives the audio device number.
You can also get more insight in the devices using "alsamixer"
What do you use as audio device?
And there is something I'm not sure of (perhaps other forum members can comment):
Project started with with pyaudio and worked on Pi1 and Pi2.
Next it was upgraded for supporting Pi3 and pyaudio was replaced by sounddevice. I have never tried this again on Pi1. It would surprise me though, but you never know...

N
ned posted Mar 16 '18, 08:21:

systemctl stop samplerbox comes back:

* stop.service
    Loaded: note-found (Reason: No such file or directory
    Active: inactive (dead)

and when I try to start it, it says the same thing (except start.service)

python -m sounddevice says:

0 bcm2835 ALSA: - hw(0,0), Alsa (0 in, 2 out)
  1 sysdefault, ALSA (0 in, 128 out)
< 2 default, ALSA (0 in 128 out)

alsamixer show default and 0 (and my USB midi keyboard, even though it's not an audio interface..)

I'm just trying to use the build in audio-out (hence why I tried 0)

I guess it's probably not python problem, because aplay would work regardless of python, no?

Any other ideas of things I can try?

N
ned posted Mar 16 '18, 08:21:

systemctl stop samplerbox comes back:

* stop.service
    Loaded: note-found (Reason: No such file or directory
    Active: inactive (dead)

and when I try to start it, it says the same thing (except start.service)

python -m sounddevice says:

0 bcm2835 ALSA: - hw(0,0), Alsa (0 in, 2 out)
  1 sysdefault, ALSA (0 in, 128 out)
< 2 default, ALSA (0 in 128 out)

alsamixer show default and 0 (and my USB midi keyboard, even though it's not an audio interface..)

I'm just trying to use the build in audio-out (hence why I tried 0)

I guess it's probably not python problem, because aplay would work regardless of python, no?

Any other ideas of things I can try?

H
HansEhv posted Mar 17 '18, 15:08:

Hi Ned, there something not quite ok.
The systemctl command should have resulted in either stopping the service or the message that the service is not running. The not found means the configuration file is not there. This could mean that you're not using a samplerbox image or that something has gone wrong with creating.. Or some corruption happened.
I think it's worthwhile checking this first before starting the hard debugging.
A double-check on absence can be done with systemctl status samplerbox.

H
HansEhv posted Mar 17 '18, 21:42:

By the way, the config file I'm referring to: /etc/systemd/system/samplerbox.service

M
Mairk posted Aug 29 '23, 09:30:

Even though I have information to provide, when I post my text, I get..

To avoid spam, links are currently not allowed. Send us an email to [email protected] and we will explain how to write posts with links.

Si I posted my response is at answersinaninstant dot blogspot dot com

(not published)
  I want to post as guest