Now with PICTURES, just in case youre feeling poor about YOUR soldering skills

J
jerome posted Jan 19 '19, 03:27:

HANS, and anyone who has built from his image/instructions

As you can see this is a rather fragile setup, and nowhere near my last build attempt, but as mentioned i get sound so im pretty excited.

As I was testing I found that the latency wasnoticeab;e. So I though throw in a USB caqrd and see if that helps.

Son of a gun, generic USBdonmgle plugged into slot by itself and poof latency is gone.

Then i recall a discussion Hans and I had about the DAC+. and other emails i had read about running the sw on bare metal RASPI. So looking through all the pix on your site the only CARD I see, other than the USB dongle, appears to be a DAC+ w/ RCA os l;isted as LED TEST, and that led is the ONLY thing plugged into the GPIO headers, which is ok I guess since i dont see tghe small screen that had been recommended.

So the ONLY thing I can imagine is if you plugged the DAC+ on top of the entire gpio strip of the RASPI, and THEN after yopur LED TEST, you soldered on all the wires for the small LCD screen?

Now I also think I see an HDMI cabl;e coming out the back, which is interestimngb considering another brief exchange we had.....

so anyone who has done this am I close?

and I got SO sidetracked in resolving a fire tghat i didnt even know was LIT but actually slmost burned out that I forggot i cant post pix or links....sigh

H
HansEhv posted Jan 19 '19, 21:32:

Hi Jerome,
I have two boxes, both shown on the site:

• one with 2x16 display, buttons and use of usb dac (the "trial" version)
  • one with leds and hifi) you need to take care of that yourselfberry (one of the alternatives mentioned).
    The software setup allows to use either I2C-7segment display, 2x16 display directly on GPIO or nothing at all.
    Same goes for the DAC: either internal (jack or hdmi), usb dac or hifiberry.
    And it also goes for midi: you can enable that as well, default is off. Midi input is not an "either" thing, you can have multiple midi inputs, so enabling the direct midi won't stop listening to USB. SB listens to channel 1 by default, but also this is configurable.
    I don't use serial midi. I did include the official diagram, but you can also follow Joseph's guide (it's the same anyway).

Since there are so much options to choose from, the "USE_*" statements, as well as gpio pin setup can be adapted in the configuration.txt. Some pins cannot be adapted: serial IO (direct midi), I2C as well as hifiberry are fixed. I have written this very briefly in that file, as well as included a picture of gpio pins on the website with all that fixed stuff commented with colored circles and text.
Using combination of Hifiberry in combination with the I2C is tricky, you need to exactly what you're doing as it may require extra soldering to adapt the I2C impedances of the I2C devices (hifiberry also use I2C).

When using Hifiberry, you can solder feather headers on the available Hifiberry holes reserved for that. This way you can connect the rest easily with the female jumper wires.

To go back to top of this message: both box's use exactly the same software, the configuration.txt on each box makes the difference by enabling the specific components needed for them. In fact I develop on a linux PC, where the config is adapted to use no GPIO at all, and to point to the internal sound system.

J
jerome posted Jan 20 '19, 03:55:

Hans

Wow, thanks for the details. Im starting to see more and more. but honestly i never suspected 2 different boxes on your site it does make sense when you think about it.

Im going to keep plodding ahead,and document what i get right, so if you have any other input its greatly appreciated.

you guys have done great work

thanksk

(not published)
  I want to post as guest