HiFiBerry DAC + Pi 3B+

B
Brett posted Aug 8 '19, 19:21:

Hey guys, this is my first time ever using a Raspberry Pi, and I'm having a lot of trouble. I've seen other posts in the forum about this, but I don't understand the answers. Like, literally, the instruction "put this software on the SD card" took me a month because no one mentioned I needed windiskimage or some other such software to do that. So with that in mind:

I've got SamplerBox installed and working through either the Pi's audio port or the HDMI (if that's plugged in). I added the HiFiBerry on top, but the sound still prefers to use either of the two aforementioned routes rather than coming through the RCA ports on the HiFiBerry.

I tried reading HiFiBerry's instructions (on their official site, links not allowed in post) but I typed in a few of these commands and they were not recognized.

Can anyone walk me through this like I was a 5 year old?

M
Mac posted Jan 31 '20, 21:17:

Hi
I am getting the same sort of problems. I have an R-Pi 3B+ and HiFiBerry DAC+ Standard. Everything is fine with internal sound or an external USB sound card, but th berry does not work. I have carefully gone through the config.txt and I can't see any problems against the instructions for this, but when I boot I get the 'starting samplerbox' message, then I get 'Invalid audiodev'. Then the display goes blank.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do not have access to another R-Pi or HiFIBerry.
(The HiFIBerry is new out of the box, but it was a present, so I can't send it back for a replacement)
If there is no solution, what alternative sound card do you recommend / suggest that is of a reasonable quality?

H
HansEhv posted Jan 31 '20, 23:59:

Hi Mac,
The info you give is very, very brief... :-(
I conclude you use my image (from the "homspace" site) since you have a 3B+.
I also conclude you use a HD44780_16x2_LCD.
In that case, there is a conflict of the pins as LCD_D6=18 is used by HiFiberry too.
I suggest you connect that wire to another pin and adapt the configuration.txt (there is a short explanation in there describing possibility of such conflicts).

M
Mac posted Feb 1 '20, 17:04:

Hello Hans,
Thank you for a fast response.
You are quite right, I am using your image from the "homspace" site - Very pleased with it and I hope that you will continue to develop it.

Your suggestion of a conflict on pin LCD_D6 was correct. I have now changed this to LCD_D6=23 (and have re-wired the HD44780_16x2_LCD to match).

The HiFIBerry now works perfectly. Thanks again for your help.
Mac

H
HansEhv posted Feb 1 '20, 18:29:

Glad to hear it works.
Yes, still developing, don't worry.
Thanks and have fun!

C
Cris Bar posted Aug 13 '21, 20:45:

Hello!!! I also downloaded from homespace, last version, and with same hardware (RPI3B+, Hifiberry, LCD screen 16x2 BUT with i2c backpack (4 pins)... I can get sound from my keyboard controller, but the LCD screen goes blue (on) but with no characters... I, of course, change the right adress for my chip in the LCD (0x27) in configuration.txt, with no effect, then add adress in modules/16x2_lcd.py, also with no effect. I guess i have to remap pins beacause of hifiberry GPIO pins conflict? but everywhere I read the mapping of the LCD WITHOUT the i2c backpack, how can i remap the pins from the LCD (clock and data)??
THanks!!!

(not published)
  I want to post as guest