HANS Im sure youve mentioned this before...

J
jerome posted Nov 2 '18, 22:18:

so i apologize for being redundent

but the HW portion of your build and the original are miles apart

is that because yours was for the controllers through USB only, or was it just a modification/simplification of the origine?

thanks

j

H
HansEhv posted Nov 3 '18, 00:02:

Hi Jerome,
I wanted to implement some extra functions.
Therefor I needed more flexibility in the buttons (a third=function change button) and a more useful display (2x16 is more than 1x4).
I didn't really need the serial input and the MidiSerialCallback routine is not finished (running midi status cannot be handled), therefor I left that as is for the time being.
The versions on GitHub (and later this year a documented image on my site) reintroduce the 7-segment display. Then it's possible to use an original HW build with my SW version.
Two attention points: you need to get the gpio mapping in local config in line with the HW and the serial midi callback is still original (a future version may have that repaired though).

J
Jerome hess posted Nov 3 '18, 16:09:

Hans,
That actually makes a lot of sense, plus I . Like the bigger display, I'm thinking maybe bigger yet, but that's me, I d not know yet what use it would be put.

2 MORE questions now, on yours did you say you were using a midi/usb controller? And If so are you plugging into one of t he raspis usb?
I ask because I've got 2 and they're both usb powered, neither has a plug socket available.

Second, in a situation where that may be the case I wonder if a pc/usb interface would help or hinder. I have an Alexis lambda interface and haven't worked around with it much other than straight recording.

But to be clear, right now your image is not working w the original hardware setup?

Thanks for all your explanations

J

J
jerome posted Nov 3 '18, 19:32:

as long as im being a pest.......

im sure i could hunt round and find exactly what you used, but when i saw these i started thinking

the interface on this oine isnt as complete, but im not 100% sure whats missing <more studying will fill me in> but would this suffice?

oops cant post links- ok from amazon:
Arducam 1602 16x2 Serial HD44780 Character LCD Board Display with White on Blue Backlight 5V with IIC/I2C Serial Interface Adapter Module for Arduino

alternatively this is probably a closer choice eh?

ELEDIY Standard LCD 16x2 Character LCD Display Module + extras for Arduino

thanks for all your patience and help

j

H
HansEhv posted Nov 3 '18, 23:09:

Jerome,
My latest image doesn't support I2C 7-segment display. Current software does and thus future images will do so too.
The digitast buttons of the original are supported (though the GPIO pins are different I think).
The serial midi is supported in the same way as the original samplerbox does. The USB midi has improved support as multiple devices can be used.
The 2x16 display routine works with HD44780 protocol (so not I2C or SPI), which is also often referred too as "standard". I will never comment on HW found on the internet as I'm not the manufacturer and can only read the specs in the same way you do.
So: what works and does not work, as well as the wiring and the local config is up to you, as it depends on how you make it. All forks give freedom on how you construct the box.
It's DIY, so it may require some reading and thinking from time to time (most of the answers I gave can be found on my doc pages).
If that's not your piece of cake, you should surely have a look at Alex's build, as there you can find a ready made HAT and also support for 4 line display. ...and better organized docs...
I'm aware my build as well as the docs aren't examples of user friendliness, but I've built for my own usage and I'm just sharing it cause I think there are some usable pieces in it. I won't be disappointed if you shove it aside because it's too difficult.
The friendliness and docs will improve as time goes on, but hey: it's a hobby, not a day-time job.

H
HansEhv posted Nov 3 '18, 23:17:

sorry forgot 1 question: for most usb midi devices, PI can supply the power. I have 1 power adapter: for the PI. Use at least 2A. For the 3B+ I've even bought a 3A one as the PI now uses quite some power for itself.
For a PI2 you need an extra startup option to get enough power on USB. That's in the "goodies" at the bottom of of my "Build it" page.

J
Jerome posted Nov 5 '18, 18:36:

Hans,

Thanks for the suggestions, great stuff.

I actually like youre diagrams a lot. I think, much like my Mandriva experience, Im probably going to build several version's and the one I like best Ill start some serious investigating with,

Thanks for all your patience.

J

(not published)
  I want to post as guest