Installation Problems

G
Gareth posted Mar 8 '20, 15:25:

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me. I have installed the latest IMG via BalenaEtcher to my Raspberry Pi 3.

When I plug in a USB keyboard it plays the saw wave just fine.

I was trying to then plug in a USB drive to load other samples and am having issues.

I can't post a screenshot here, but the root folder doesn't have things like SamplerBox.py or even config.ini or /samples/.

It just has config.txt for example. So I can't edit the appropriate files on the card

IF I download the files from GitHub, it shows these frequently mentioned items, so I am wondering what is happening?

The files download from Github as a folder, rather than an IMG, so I don't know how to do a manual install.

(im a bit of a noob, but can figure most things out).

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated.

OH and also, when I plug in a HDMI, theres no output, so I can't see where I can log in for example.

Is there a problem with the img zip on the front page? If so, can someone link me to a zip that I can just load with BalenaEtcher that will definitely work?

G
Gareth posted Mar 8 '20, 17:58:

Scratch the part about the HDMI output not working as it is working now.

G
Gareth posted Mar 12 '20, 23:35:

Anyone any ideas?

H
HansEhv posted Mar 13 '20, 23:20:

Hi Gareth,
Just plug in a keyboard, log in with root/root and peek around bit and since you're able to figure things you'll surely understand where those github files are :-)
Plugging in a network cable (before booting) will enable you to log in via SSH, which is far more convenient than the keyboard/HDMI combination.
Also clarify what latest image you're using as there is a main samplerbox and 3 forks referrered at on this forum. In other words: where did you download it ?
Once you're also able to describe what the "issues" are, then it may possible to help you.
Regards, Hans

G
Gareth posted Mar 15 '20, 12:03:

Thank you Hans for your kind response.

I don't have a network port on any of my laptops, but could look into SSH via wifi.

I have downloaded the main IMG from the front page of the SamplerBox website, and followed the basic instruction as outlined.

When that didn't work, I then looked at the files that were available on Github, but was very unsure of how to proceed.

To be honest, I am probably going to abandon this whole thing, as I was looking very much for a 'drag and drop' and 'plug and play', which might seem entitled, but I just really hoped it would be possible with SamplerBox.

H
HansEhv posted Mar 15 '20, 20:58:

Hi Gareth,
That's a pity, but indeed there is more DIY necessary than the frontpage suggests.
Samplerbox has huge possibilities as the other forks prove. But also these involve some DIY.

A
Austen posted Mar 15 '20, 23:09:

Hey Gareth, I've had mixed results with the SamplerBox auto mounting drives. For a usb storage device to work with the pi, it has to be mounted. The samplerbox script does this, and mounts the device at "/media/" , but sometimes it doesn't go. I usually wait for it to boot up and the script is running before I plug in a flash drive. (Note that it doesn't support exFat(usually cards over 32gb, I had to install exFat "sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils")).

So check /media/ to see if your card is mounted. navigate by "cd /media/" then view the files by list with "ls"
When my cards don't mount I use "mount /dev/nameOfDevice /media/" That will put card where the script wants them.

Also the hdmi has to plugged in before booting or the pi turns it off

A
Austen posted Mar 15 '20, 23:20:

when you plug in a drive the console will show its name towards the bottom of the output. usually sda1 or sdb1

(not published)
  I want to post as guest