Very slow booting

A
Arthur posted Apr 27 '20, 23:57:

My SamplexBox needs about 30-40 seconds to boot (with MicroSD-Card Class 10).
The login will be displayed after 5sec, but I can only hear sounds after about 30sec.
Is that normal? How long does it take to boot up?

H
HansEhv posted Apr 29 '20, 23:59:

5 sec's to see a login ... are you using a PI-1?
If no USB is inserted the original samplerbox should be playable in 3-4 sec's.
Other builds can take slightly more because of the extra features, but then we stil talk approx 5 secs.
If you have large sample sets it can take longer, 30 secs is in range.

A
Arthur posted Apr 30 '20, 00:49:

Hello,

I use RPI 3b+. As an Audio- and MIDI-Interface I connected "Steinberg UR22" to USB. For samples I connected the recommended "USB 2.0 Cardreader RTS5159" with Flash-Card.
As instrument I use the Grand piano (Salamander).

After I configured 16 velocities in definition.txt File the booting process now takes about 60 seconds.

Maybe my SD cards are to slow?

A
Arthur posted Apr 30 '20, 15:44:

Now I have connected a USB 3.0 reader + Turbo SD-Card for Samples and the loading speed is no longer 60 but 45 seconds.
With other USB audio-interface and other USB midi-interface takes time booting has not become faster.

H
HansEhv posted May 1 '20, 01:09:

Hi Arthur,
That's interesting information, thanks.
I've been thinking about this for another perspective, which may interest you too.
Given you're running PI3B+ I assume you're using my build (from the "homspace" site).
In that case you can use "%%velmode=accurate"parameter to get the proper volumes per velocity and optionally have 3-5 velocity levels to get adjust the the tone of piano in the various playing forces (in my experience 3 will work perfectly, but this ofcourse is a subjective opinion).
Anyway: for very high quality you just need to read 5 levels of samples instead of 16, which immediately reduces the load to 33% and if you go for "just quality" with 3 levels it'll be 20% (so 10 seconds instead of the 45 seconds you have now).
Mind you need to normalize the sample's level, because the volume is taken care by samplerbox via the "accurate" option.
Just curious: reading 16 levels of the grand piano is a memory strain: did you see messages of samples not loaded because of memory shortage when starting in in debug mode?
I'm very interested in your findings, Hans

A
Arthur posted May 1 '20, 12:16:

Hello Hans,

I had already adjusted "velmode=accurate"

Here is my definition file:

%%gain=0.8
%%mode=keyb
%%velmode=accurate
%notenamev1.wav,%velocity=8
%notenamev2.wav,%velocity=16
%notenamev3.wav,%velocity=24
%notenamev4.wav,%velocity=32
%notenamev5.wav,%velocity=40
%notenamev6.wav,%velocity=48
%notenamev7.wav,%velocity=56
%notenamev8.wav,%velocity=64
%notenamev9.wav,%velocity=72
%notenamev10.wav,%velocity=80
%notenamev11.wav,%velocity=88
%notenamev12.wav,%velocity=96
%notenamev13.wav,%velocity=104
%notenamev14.wav,%velocity=112
%notenamev15.wav,%velocity=120
%notenamev16.wav,%velocity=127

I never started the SampleBox in debug mode.

H
HansEhv posted May 1 '20, 23:57:

Hi Arthur,
In my opinion, this approach has 2 drawbacks:
1)
It still tries to load approximately 1,1Gb of samples in memory - taking a lot of time - while the PI only has 1GB of which some is used by the software needed by samplerbox.
So 0,2Gb of the samples aren't loaded (if you run in debug mode you'll see messages about skipped samples, doing this with original samplerbox will simply freeze).
2)
If you haven't changed/normalized the samples, the velocity is applied twice giving much more dynamics than needed.

May I suggest you have a look at the SalamanderGrandPiano_adapted.zip in the "samples" directory in the same area where you downloaded the image. In that zip is a "normalized" folder containing a ready to use piano set.
Looking at that / using that will illustrate what I tried to explain in my previous message.
Anyway: it will give you a high quality piano at 25% of the load time you have now.

Hope this this helps.

(not published)
  I want to post as guest