Simple hardware: Audio With LCD

G
Glenn posted Feb 4 '21, 18:23:

The Pimaroni Audio Pirate looks like the perfect hardware to make a sampler box.
It includes a high fidelity DAC, a color LCD and 4 buttons.
Stick this on any Raspi and you are done.
Now we just need the UI software modifications so you can select patches with the buttons and view a menu of patches on the LCD.

Pimoroni Pirate Audio: 3.5mm Line-out for Raspberry PiPimoroni Pirate Audio: 3.5mm Line-out for Raspberry Pi $25

Plug Pirate Audio Line-out for Raspberry Pi into your hi-fi amp or powered speakers, then sit back, relax, and soak in the rich, digital audio. It has a high-quality I2S DAC, high-res color display, and squishy playback control buttons.

This board is perfect for upgrading an existing hi-fi amp and speakers, or a set of powered monitors, with digital audio from local audio files (MP3, FLAC, etc.) or from streaming services like Spotify. The DAC on Pirate Audio Line-out gives you crisp 24-bit / 192KHz digital audio through its 3.5mm stereo jack.

Pirate Audio is a range of all-in-one audio boards for Raspberry Pi, with high-quality digital audio, beautifully-crisp IPS displays for album art, tactile buttons for playback control, and the custom Pirate Audio software and installer to make setting it all up a breeze. No soldering required, just plug it right in to make fun audio projects come to life.

Features:

Line-level digital audio (24-bit / 192KHz) over I2S
PCM5100A DAC chip (datasheet)
3.5mm stereo jack
1.3" IPS color LCD (240x240px) (ST7789 driver)
Four tactile buttons
Mini HAT-format board
Fully-assembled
Compatible with all 40-pin header Raspberry Pi models
Pirate Audio software
Dimensions: 65 x 30.5 x 9.5mm
Works with any Raspberry Pi computer, including the original Pi 1, B+, Pi 2, Pi 3, Pi 4, and Pi

adafruit dot com /product/4452

E
Erich posted Feb 11 '21, 18:06:

Hi, as this version https://homspace.nl/samplerbox/ from Hans is very modular, You only have to create a configurationfile of for the Buttons und GPIO-Pins.
The Audio-Card should work, I use a cheap card with the same DAC.
For the Display, You probably have to search for a Driver which could be used in Python and include this into this version.
As the code is very modular and supports already a lot of displays, it should be easy to adopt the code for one display and transform this into the code for this new display.
From the pricepoint, You could probably use single components and wire them up for a comperable pricing, but this wouldn´t look nice as the Pimorini.

G
Glenn posted Sep 1 '21, 17:55:

I created a website with complete step-by-step instructions for creating an inexpensive up-to-date software version SamplerBox with high quality audio, color LCD and buttons -- with no wiring or soldering required.
chromakinetics.com/samplerbox

(not published)
  I want to post as guest