Massive latency

D
Douwe posted Jun 10 '21, 22:26:

So i've tried multiple times to install samplerbox on my raspberry pi 3B, and everytime i get it to work it's pretty much unusable because i get very long latency. I've tried different solutions, most recent attempt being upgrading the soundcard/midi interface to Pisound. Still the same amount of latency.

Does anybody know how i can fix this?
I've already tried adjusting the buffersize, samplerate etc.

thanks in advance.

M
M and V posted Apr 24, 07:57:

We could not figure out how to reduce the latency with SamplerBox, but one of the bigger pains was also the time it took to load a set of sounds (the more fonts there were on the sound card, the worse the latency). The latency above 100 ms was simply unacceptable.

We eventually switched to jackd & fluidsynth with a cheap, properly configured PCM5102A sound card attached to the Pi, using a proper Sound font instead of wav files, and that reduced the latency to below 10 ms (I don't remember exact numbers: I think it was around 8 ms and could be trimmed down to maybe 4 ms by really taking care of all details, increasing sampling rate, having sufficient memory etc.).

B
Baconmonsta posted yesterday, 17:27:

Soundfonts really? That sounds like a really archaic way of playing samples. There must be a better way to play samples polyphonically on the raspberry pi...

B
Baconmonsta posted yesterday, 17:27:

Soundfonts really? That sounds like a really archaic way of playing samples. There must be a better way to play samples polyphonically on the raspberry pi...

(not published)
  I want to post as guest