Difficult setup/instructions?

X
xan posted Dec 23 '23, 23:20:

I've been excited to build this for some time but I'm having some difficulty, and would appreciate any direction. I have a rpi3B+ and a pirate audio dac lineout with the screen.

The setup described by Glenn Meader at chromakinetics l is what I first followed. While the screen seemed to work almost nothing else would, and it seemed to show an eternal loop of loading the demo and then it would say demo for a little while, and then back to loading. No sound from either the DAC jack or the board jack, and zero changes from pressing any of the buttons.

Next, I tried the iso listed on this website, but could never manage to get any sound out of either jack at all again.

Finally, I managed to get something working by following the "manual install" instructions. However it only worked with the exact image listed (it seems like the requirements of samplerbox are a python install that is below 3.8 and later versions of vanilla rasbian have too new of a python, and I did not attempt to downgrade).

My issues (or ignorance) seem to be that I would like to get the audio working from the dac, start samplerbox on boot, and use the interface built into the pirate audio hat. I also suspect that running samplerbox in this way will prevent it from automatically loading samples from thumb drives, and it is not clear where I should put new samples or even how to switch between loaded sample sets (though I suspect I have to put them in the SamplerBox directory or mess with the config).

Also is there a way to decrease the number of missed note-off signals? Most of the time I can get it to end the note by key-mashing, but on at least one occasion I had to kill the python processes to get the noise to stop. My goal is to be able to use this system without having to be on the computer the whole time but as it stands it doesn't seem usable in a headless fashion.

Thank you to everyone for your work on this awesome project, its a fantastic idea and system and I'm excited to have it working!

(not published)
  I want to post as guest